Founded in 1902 to care for orphans, CHS is now among the oldest, largest and most respected private nonprofits serving children and families. Expanding from early roots in adoption and foster care, CHS offers an array of specialized services designed to nurture children and grow families. Last year, CHS delivered hope to more than 139,000 children and adults.
OBJECTIVE: Coordinates all academic, educational, and vocational services for residential program as well as acts as liaison with local schools.
DETAIL: This is a part-time position
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS MAY INCLUDE:
- Coordinate Title I computer based tutorial program providing remedial
education to improve the math, spelling and reading skills.
- Coordinate and supervise service learning volunteers and work study
- Provide for individual tutoring and academic assistance; coordinate outside
- Enroll and withdraw residents in school; request previous school records as
- Coordinate transportation, free lunches, etc. for residents.
- Purchase and distribute school supplies.
- Maintain and serve as primary contact with schools including attending school
meetings and conferences with teachers as necessary.
- Participate in the development and review of individual education plans and
- Establish and maintain and review resident files including BHOS required
documentation, enrollments, school records, individual education plan
documents, various logs and disciplinary actions.
- Provide required program information and reports to supervisor, schools or
- Coordinate educational component of the BHOS program.
- Participate in staff, BHOS and other meetings as part of the BHOS treatment
- Provide for vocational activities to assist youth in acquiring suitable
- Assist residents in post high school planning and provide guidance in
application, enrollment, tuition waiver, scholarship, testing, etc for college or
- Participate in the quality management process.
This list of essential functions is not intended to be exhaustive. Children’s Home Society of Florida reserves the right to revise this job description as needed to comply with actual job requirements.
REQUIRED: All degrees must be from an accredited university.
- Bachelor degree in Education or related field
- One to three years experience in classroom teaching or exceptional education
- For Unaccompanied Alien Child/Minor Program, bilingual required
- Florida Driver’s License within 30 days from hire
- Current teaching certificate from any state
- Ability to learn computer skills sufficient to perform all essential functions
- Ability to manage time among a number of ongoing projects and tasks
- Ability to self-direct actions
- Ability to work as a team member (internal and external to CHS)
- Ability to work with at risk teens and/or exceptional education students
- Effective classroom and behavior management
- Effective leadership and skills
NEEDED: driving, repetitive motions, sitting, standing
PREFERRED: carrying, kneeling, lifting, walking